Teaching Scheme (in Hours)
Subject Credit : 5
Examination Scheme (in marks)
ESE Viva (V)
Syllabus Content Download
1 Introduction: Overview of construction practices, theory and methods.
2 Subsurface Investigation: Objectives, methods of boring like wash boring, percussion etc.
3 Shallow Foundations: Necessity, types, setting out, excavation, construction, failures of foundation and remedial measures.
4 Masonary Construction :
a) Stone masonary: Technical terms, lifting appliances, joints, types – random (un-coursed) rubble, coursed rubble, dry rubble masonry, Ashlar masonry- Ashlar fine, chamfered fine.
b) Brick masonary: Technical terms, bonds in brick work- English bond, single & double Flemish bond, garden wall bond, raking bond, Dutch bond.
c) Composite masonary: Stone facing with brick backing, brick facing with concrete backing.
d) Hollow concrete blocks and construction
5 Plain and Reinforced Concrete Construction: Pre-cast and cast-in -situ Construction.
6. Doors and Windows :
a) Doors: Location, technical terms, size, types, construction, suitability.
b) Windows: Factors affecting selection of size, shape, location and no. of windows, types, construction, suitability, fixtures and fastenings.
c) Ventilators: Ventilators combined with window, fan light.
7. Stairs and Staircases: Definition, technical terms, requirements of good stair, fixing of going and rise of a step, types of steps, classification, example – stair planning, elevators, escalators.
8. Floorings :Introduction, essential requirements of a floor, factors affecting selection of flooring material, types of ground floors, brick, flag stone, tiled cementconcrete, granolithic, terrazzo, marble, timber flooring, upper floor- timber, timber floor supported on RSJ flag stone floor resting on RSJ, jack arch floor, reinforced concrete floor, ribbed floor, pre cast concrete floor.
7. Roofs and Roof Coverings:Introduction, requirements of good roof technical terms, classification, types of roof coverings for pitched roof. A.C. sheet roofs – fixing of A.C. sheets,laying of big six sheets, G.I. Sheets roofs, slates, flat roof – advantages, dis-advantages, types of flat terraced roofing.
8. Wall Finishes:Plastering, pointing and painting
9 Temporary Works :Timbering in trenches , types of scaffoldings, shoring, underpinning
10. Special Treatments:Fire resistant, water resistant, thermal insulation, acoustical construction and anti-termite treatment.
Unit-6: Module 6
11. Green Building: Principles, Concepts and Case study
After successful completion of course the students shall be able to:
- Discuss sub surface soil strata investigation.
- Construct various types of shallow foundation.
- Execute various types of masonry.
- Construct various structural and non-structural building components.
- Erect various temporary works for new and existing buildings.
- Apply special treatments like water resistance, thermal insulation acoustical construction.
- Select appropriate method of construction.
- Explain causes of failure and remedial measures for foundations
- Explain the green buildings and suggest how to convert existing building in to green building.
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology is a leading institute offering undergraduate (B.E.), postgraduate (M.E.) and Diploma programs in engineering.