Teaching Scheme (in Hours)
Subject Credit : 4
Examination Scheme (in marks)
ESE Viva (V)
Syllabus Content Download
Unit-1: Module - 1
Pile Foundations: Introduction, uses, selection of pile, types of piles, pile cap and pile shoe, pile driving methods, micro piling, causes of failures of piles, Heaving of piles
Definition, uses, construction material, types of caissons, loads on caisson, design features of caissons, floating of caissons, cutting edges, sinking of caisson, tilting of caisson, shifting of caisson, caisson diseases
Unit-2: Module - 2
Diaphragm wall construction
Introduction, uses, site selection criteria
Definition, uses, selection of coffer dams, types of coffer dams, design features of coffer dams, leakage prevention, economic height
Control of Ground water in Excavations:
Methods-pumping, well points, bore wells, electro-osmosis, injections with cement, clays and chemical, freezing process, vibro- flotation.
Unit-3: Module - 3
Form work for R.C.C. Wall, slab, beam and column, centering for arches of large spans and dams, design features for temporary works, slip formwork, False work for Bridges
Construction of tall structures:
Materials of tall structures. Structural system for tall structures.
Methods of construction of tall structures.
Demolition of Structure:
Demolition, taking down, dismantling, methods, safety
Unit-4: Module - 4
Construction Equipment :
1. Mechanization in Construction: Importance of construction equipments their classification, selection and contribution rate of production (Output), Owning and operating cost.
2. Engineering fundamentals : Related to performance of IC engines, rimpull, drawbar pull, Coefficient of traction,Gradability.
Unit-5: Module - 5
Excavating equipments :
Selection, basic parts, operation, factors affecting output
Tractors and related equipment: Bulldozers, Rippers, Scrapers
Excavating Equipment: Power shovels, Draglines, Hoes, Clam shells and trenching machines.
Unit-6: Module - 6
Hauling and conveying equipments :
Belt conveyor system : Terminology, Classification, Components, Power requirement estimation and design.
Hauling and lifting equipment: Trucks, wagons, cranes etc.
Pile boring / driving equipment
Concrete Batching plant
Tunnel Boring machines
Drilling and blasting equipments
After learning the course the students should be able to:
1. Supervise the heavy construction sites.
2. Understand the working principle and use of various equipments
3. Select appropriate construction equipments for desired construction works.
4. Execute the operations of Demolition of structures with safety.
5. Erect the false work for Bridges and form work for Heavy structures
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology is a leading institute offering undergraduate (B.E.), postgraduate (M.E.) and Diploma programs in engineering.