Teaching Scheme (in Hours)
Subject Credit : 4
Examination Scheme (in marks)
ESE Viva (V)
Syllabus Content Download
Unit-1: MODULE 1: ELECTRONIC MATERIALS
1. Free electron theory 2. Density of states and energy band diagrams, 3. Kronig-Penny model (to introduce origin of band gap), Energy bands in solids, 4. E-k diagram, Direct and indirect bandgaps, 5. Types of electronic materials: metals, semiconductors, and insulators, 6. Density of states, Occupation probability, 7. Fermi level, Effective mass, Phonons.
Unit-2: MODULE 2: SEMICONDUCTORS (10)
1. Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors 2. Dependence of Fermi level on carrier-concentration and temperature (equilibrium carrier statistics) 3. Carrier generation and recombination, Carrier transport: diffusion and drift, p-n junction, 4. Metal-semiconductor junction (Ohmic and Schottky), Semiconductor materials of interest for optoelectronic devices
Unit-3: MODULE 3: LIGHT-SEMICONDUCTOR INTERACTION
1. Optical transitions in bulk semiconductors: absorption, spontaneous emission, and stimulated emission; 2. Joint density of states 3. Density of states for photons, 4. Transition rates (Fermi's golden rule) 5. Optical loss and gain; Photovoltaic effect, Exciton 6. Drude model
Unit-4: Module 4: Measurements
1. Four-point probe and Van Der Pauw measurements for carrier density, 2. Resistivity and hall mobility 3. Hot-point probe measurement, capacitance-voltage measurements, 4. Parameter extraction from diode I-V characteristics, DLTS, 5. band gap by UV-Vis spectroscopy, absorption/transmission.
Unit-5: Module 5: Superconductivity
1. Introduction of Superconductivity 2. Properties of superconductor 3. Effect of magnetic field 4. Meissner effect 5. Pressure effect 6. Impurity effect 7. Isotopic mass effect 8. Mechanism of Superconductivity : BCS Theory 9. Penetration depth : Magnetic field 10. Josephson's junction and its application Application of superconductors
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology is a leading institute offering undergraduate (B.E.), postgraduate (M.E.) and Diploma programs in engineering.