Teaching Scheme (in Hours)
Subject Credit : 5
Examination Scheme (in marks)
ESE Viva (V)
Syllabus Content Download
Mathematical modeling andengineering problem Solving.Approximations and errors. Significant figures, accuracy and 1 precision,Errors, round-off and truncation errors, error propagation.
Roots of Equations: Mathematical background, Bisection, RegulaFalsi, NR method, Secant, Successive approximation method, Budan’s Theorem, Barristow’s method, case studies.
Systems of linear algebraic equations: Mathematical background, Gauss elimination; pitfalls and techniques for improvement, matrix inversion and Gauss-Seidel methods, ill- conditional Equations, Predictor-Corrector methods, case studies.
Curve Fitting: Mathematical background, Least squares linear and polynomial regression, Lagrange interpolating Polynomials. Splineinterpolation, Case studies.
Numerical Integration: Newton-Cotes integration formulas; trapezoidalrule and Simpson’s rules: Interpolation, case studies.
Ordinary differential equations: Euler’s method, Runge-Kutta methods. General methods for boundary value problems, Case studies.
Statistical Methods: Frequency distributions, Data analysis, Expectations and moments, Co- relation and regression, Trend analysis, Seasonal effects, Cyclical Fluctuation, Moving average, MSE, Predictions. Non-parametric statistics. Computer-based resampling techniques. Confidence intervals and statistical significance.
After learning the course the students should be able to:
- Solve system of linear equations.
- Understand various methods of modeling.
- Apply Mathematical Modeling and for Engineering Problem Solving.
- Solve Mathematical Equations by various methods.
- Find Best Curve fitting for given data.
- Apply Numerical Integration.
- Solve Differential Equations.
- Understand Statistical Methods for Data Analysis and sampling techniques.
- Write programs for various numerical and statistical methods
BE (CE) ⇒ Semester: 4
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology is a leading institute offering undergraduate (B.E.), postgraduate (M.E.) and Diploma programs in engineering.