Teaching Scheme (in Hours)
Subject Credit : 6
Examination Scheme (in marks)
ESE Viva (V)
Syllabus Content Download
Basic concept of coding, Unique decodable codes and instantaneous decodable codes (IDC) Construction of IDC, Krafts inequality and MC Millan’s theorem, Huffman and shannon - fano code.
Unit-2: Fundamentals of entropy
Entropy, Entropy of sources and their extension. Loss less image compression
Unit-3: Arithmetic Coding
Basic of channel coding and Hamming distances, channel capacity and shannon’s fundamental theorem
Unit-4: Linear block codes
Systematic linear codes and optimum decoding for the binary symmetric channel; Generator and parity Check Matrices Syndrome decoding on symmetric channels; Hamming codes
Unit-5: Other codes
Cyclic code, Burst errors, BCH Code, Reedsolomon Codes
Unit-6: Convolution code
Convolution codes, Viterbi decoding algorithm
Unit-7: Decoding algorithms
Wozencraft’s sequential decoding algorithm, Fann’s algorithm and other sequential decoding algorithms
|1||Foundation of coding||Jiri Adamek||John Wiley and sons|
|2||Principal of Digital Communication and Coding||A.J. Viterbi and J.K.Ormura||McGraw Hill|
|3||Digital communication fundamental and Application||Bernard Sklar||PE India|
|4||Information and Coding||N. Abramson||McGraw Hill,1963|
|5||Information Theory||R.B.Ash||Prentice Hall,1970|
1. To obtain an understanding of the theoretical principles of source coding.
2. To focus on the application of Information Theory to communications in general and on channel coding and capacity in particular.
3. To analyze various error correcting codes.
4. To compare coded Vs. uncoded system.
5. To Use MATLAB for analysis of various source coding and channel coding techniques.
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology is a leading institute offering undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs in engineering.